Sunday, August 24, 2014

Craigslist Hutch Makeover

When I was younger, my mom had a green wooden hutch. I never really paid much attention to it, but I always liked it. When my family moved, my mom decided to sell the hutch. Fast forward 4 years...it's midnight and I'm half asleep browsing through furniture on Craigslist. Then I saw it...a hutch identical to our old green one!! I was so excited and immediately decided I HAD to have it.




 We picked it up 2 days later. I had plans to paint it and put it in our dining room that weekend! Instead, I had quite a fall and could hardly walk...so I had to wait over a week to paint it...it was terrible...I'm not very patient haha I'm happy to say that I finally got the hutch painted!! It still needs to be decorated, so I'm pretty tempted to use that as an excuse to get out my Halloween decorations... It's not too early, right?

First, I laid down a drop cloth in Amelia's room (Too hot outside...Plus, I was able to put up her baby gate so she could see me, but couldn't get to me while I painted) I wanted to keep the wooden accents, so I used Frog Tape to cover those. 



I then covered the entire hutch with a coat of primer, and let it dry over night. 




The next day I put a thin coat of black primer/paint on. I let that dry for a little over 2 hours, then added one more coat of paint. I let that coat dry for about 2 hours, then coated the entire thing with Polycrylic, and let that dry overnight. 


And the finished product!!






I'm still surprised I found this hutch, and I'm so happy to have one like my mom used to!!

Thanks for looking!!


1 comment: