Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Reno Update!

I can't believe it's been over a month since my last post!! The holidays have slowed us down quite a bit, but big changes have happened!!

The front area had to be dug out about 6 feet deep around the foundation so we could pour new footers for the extension of the living room. Concrete was poured and smoothed out. Then, cement blocks were installed with steel bar reinforcements inside.








A little work has been done on the inside. Mostly it has consisted of framing.


 Something special is happening under these stairs! (Which will be replaced next week)





Below is the master bedroom, bathroom, and closet. And our current storage room for the new toilets! 





These pictures are from upstairs:







This past week alot of work has been done on the living room extension. If youll remember, this is what the front used to look like:


And this is what is looked like the beginning of this week!!
We had to rent a huge forklift to use to tear down the front of the house, and we're using it to get materials up to the roof and second story. 













 This next picture is of the new trusses we had to special order. They don't look big here, but they are about 18 ft across! And that pile of "TechShield" is being used in place of typical plywood for the roof because it majorly helps keeping in heat in the winter, and cool air during the summer!





It's pretty scary seeing the house being so exposed & opened up! But once the trusses went in and the old roof was torn off, and the new one was put on I felt alot better. The new trusses add so much height, but more importantly they are 100% stable & way safer than the old roof & joists.







Below is the back of the left side of the house. (The new roof is on in this pic!!) I dont have a great picture from before, but the little retaining wall (you can see the top of it between the dirt & the house)  is actually original to the house!! (1908) Because of years of rain, and pressure from the alley way, the wall was about to fall onto our house. I did some work, and had JJ, the head of public works in Lenoir City, meet me to discuss fixing the wall. I wasn't sure if it was a city issue, or a homeowner's issue. Luckily, the city was willing to fix it!! JJ was such a huge help, and I was so excited that he was completely aboard with my plans to restore the wall rather than rip it out & stick something new in. The wall was stabilized, and then cemented into place so it won't be moving any time soon! We also addressed the drainage problem when the wall was fixed.







This past week, we had a little meeting with my aunt Brandy and our contractor Henry. We just wanted to discuss budget and timeline and such. To our surprise, Henry told us that he will kind of be done with his part with the house in a couple of weeks. Not because of anything bad, but he is retired and has multiple projects he is working on and wants to get caught up on all of those. SOOOO that sort of means that we don't have a contractor anymore, and I will be taking over. This was very overwhelming, as I have never had to do anything like this before, but I am taking it on and really looking forward to just doing the best job I can possibly do. What this basically means is that it is my responsibility to get the house finished on budget, and in a timely manner. Henry & his guys will be finishing the living room extension, the roof, the screened in porch, the windows, and some concrete work towards the end. Henry lives very close to the house, so he will still help me whenever I need him or his opinion on anything! I've got a giant list of what we still need to complete, and I will be subbing all of this work out after I get estimates from different people & companies. My list includes, but this isn't everything: electrical work, heating and air ran through the entire house, plumbing finished, drywall, flooring, bathroom tilework and vanities, interior and exterior paint, gutters, landscaping, new fence, new garage door, iron railings, light fixtures, kitchen cabinets and countertops....the list goes on! BUT, I am not complaining at all and I am so very grateful that we even get to do this renovation. I am so glad that people have enough faith in me to be in charge of finishing this huge project!! My ultimate goal is to be finished in March, and to list the house for sale then as well. I will be having an open house, and I expect every one of you to come see the house!!!

I will try to stay more up to date from now on! Now that all of the structural work is done, the cosmetic stuff should go pretty quickly. Especially since the work will be subbed out to people who specialize in each individual task.  As always, thank you for stopping by and taking time out to check out everything going on!!! -Kila

***Some more work has been done on the house since I typed this up, so I plan on doing another update in the new couple of weeks after all of this snow is gone!!



No comments:

Post a Comment